For the preparation of quiches, tarts or sweet cakes with shortcrust pastry, once the dough has been made, it is first baked “blind” before it is actually baked.
The dough is first pre-baked without the main ingredients.
The advantage: the dough absorbs less liquid and stays crispier.
- Roll out the finished dough and lay it out in the intended shape
- Prick frequently with a fork
- Cover with baking paper (once cut, this can be used several times
- Fill in dried legumes 1.5-2 cm high (in the CHEFS’ CLASS we have a bag of dried peas that is used exclusively and repeatedly for blind baking)
- Bake in the oven at 180°C top/bottom heat for 20-25 minutes
- Take out and let cool down
- Place the peas back in their container until next use
- Save the parchment paper
- Continue processing the blind-baked dough
Note: You can also do without baking paper, but then there is a risk that some of the peas will stick to the dough and have to be carefully removed.