This onion jam is a fruity cold sauce for fish and meat with roasted aromas, which can be tasted sweet, sour and spicy at the same time.
The roasted flavors come from cooking the individual ingredients on the grill.
- Vegetable ingredients
- 100%: whole peeled onions
- 50%: Mango halved
- 50% pineapple in cubes or slices
- Sherry vinegar to taste
- optional: cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, allspice
- Preheat and adjust the charcoal grill to approx. 160 – 180°C
- In the meantime peel the onions
- Cut mango and pineapple
- Place all ingredients on the grill over indirect heat
- close the grill
- The temperature should be kept as constant as possible
- Remove the ingredients from the grill when they have clearly taken on colour
- Black = burned = bitter:
Some bitter substances and ash are desired in many dishes, but you should cut off too many burned parts, as they are dangerous to your health
- Puree all trimmed pieces in the food processor or with a strong hand blender to the desired consistency
- Season to taste with vinegar, salt and chili
The jam is easy to make in large quantities, enough for several barbecues. It can also be boiled or frozen for storage.