There are several reasons for breading delicate foods:
- do not dry out during cooking
- get a crispy surface when roasting or deep-frying, which they would not have gotten without drying out if they were roasted without breading
- receive additional taste components and aromas
As a side effect, you can say that they are also more filling, since the breading usually consists of carbohydrates (breadcrumbs, white bread crumbs, panko).
For the breading, you build up a breading line that leads in the direction of the pan if possible. Each container contains:
- beaten egg, usually seasoned
- Breading (breadcrumbs, panko, white breadcrumbs, oatmeal, etc.)
Schnitzels are fried in deep, heat-resistant fat. Oils such as peanut or rapeseed oil are suitable, as is clarified butter, which also has a fine buttery taste.
The fat is heated to approx. 180°C